As I quickly noted when I got my Treo 650 PDA, this very blog didn’t look quite good when used on the Web browser included with it (Blazer v4).
Eigth months later, and with the Mobile Web Best Practices now in implementation feedback phase, I thought it was time that I applied the very principles I had contributed to develop to this blog (powered by WordPress).
I had already done part of this “mobilizing” game for the Mobile Web Initiative home page, which is powered by a different blog engine (b2evolution, on which I plan to write soon), so this wasn’t exactly an unchartered territory for me; but here comes a summary of the main things I had to tweak to make it work (as confirmed by the Best Practices checker, but even more so by real usage on my Treo).
My main goal was to make this content accessible on mobile devices, rather than providing the best possible user experience on each mobile device, so I chose to target what the Best Practices call the default delivery context, in other words, a well-defined set of limitations one should take into account when designing for mobile devices in general rather than adapting the content for each and every device.
First thing I did was to seek compliance with the CONTENT_FORMAT_SUPPORT of the Best Practices, which means serving this blog as XHTML Basic, served as
application/xhtml+xml; I have simply re-applied the technique I’ve written up a few weeks ago to permit serving my blog as XHTML Basic to all the clients that say they prefer
text/html, with a workaround for Internet Explorer ambiguous behavior; given that the technique was already developed for PHP, this was mostly a copy and paste exercice.